Mother's Day Theme: Extraordinary Mothers - Meet Shuying!
1. Hi Shu Ying, thank you for agreeing to having this interview with us, would you like to introduce yourself?
Hi everyone, I am Shu Ying. I am 35 years old, working as a project and Business Development Manager for a bio-technology company.
2. How many kids do you have?
I have 2 children, Isabelle and Izak, age 5 and 3. The younger one just celebrated his birthday.
3. Today’s theme is extraordinary mothers, what was your biggest challenge during motherhood & how did you overcome it?
My biggest challenge was time management. I was studying my master’s degree while carrying and taking care of my first born. It was extremely challenging to meet deadlines and I had to stay up late just to complete assignments and projects. I also had to keep up with my breast milk supply.
Another one of my challenges was breastfeeding my child while I was in school. There was no facility in my school that was built for breastfeeding mothers. I had to hide in the handicapped toilet to pump out milk and send the supply back to my little girl during my confinement.
3. How did you juggle between work and caring for your kids?
Just a sample of my daily life:
1.Exercise while the kids are still asleep.
2.Get ready for work before the kids wake up.
3.Get the kids ready for school.
4.Take the kids to school.
5.Leave for work.
7.Parents to pick the kids up after school as the school would have been closed by the time I arrive after work.
8.Having dinner with the children and feeding them.
9.Get them ready for bed.
Even on weekends, it is all about the kids and generally there is no me time. It is all about planning and time management.
5. What is your favourite thing about motherhood?
The best thing about motherhood is the joy that my children bring. This joy is hard to describe, exceedingly difficult to put into words. All I can say is motherhood is the best time of my life.
6. Did you seek the support of your family and friends?
We all know that it takes a village to raise a child and thankfully for my parents, I have the help I need since my husband is consistently travelling overseas for work.
7. What advice would you give to new/young mothers? What is something you wish you knew before you became a mom?
I wished I had done more research on childbirth and epidural. If I had known more, I would not have taken epidural. An advice to mothers is that taking sufficient vitamins and nutrients during recovery after giving birth will assist in the production of breast milk. Do not go into fad diets unnecessarily.
8. Will you eat lactation cookies to boost your breast milk supply? What do you look for in a lactation cookie?
Definitely! I have tried adding raw ingredients like fenugreek into my food just to boost milk production. I even bought fenugreek and goats’ milk supplements to help with my supply. Cookies might taste much better than the supplements! I will look for some commonly known lactation ingredients like fenugreek, oats and fresh fruit to complement the taste.